Saturday, November 27, 2010

In Your Arms

A story about Kailyn that I don't want to forget....

Today Kailyn had her first real defiant act. She was sent to time-out for snatching a toy out of her sister's hands. We have been having a big issue with this lately, and so I was quick to send her to time-out. She defiantly told me that I couldn't make her. Long story short, we had a quick argument, followed by a spanking, and sending Kailyn to her bedroom. There she decided to tantrum pretty good, screaming and so forth. She sure does know how to tantrum! I went in there after a few minutes, and calmly asked her if she was ready to talk. She proceeded to yell at me, so I left her room for another 10 or so minutes. Went back in there, and again she started to yell. So another 10 minutes and I go back in there and ask if now she is ready to calmly tell me how she feels. She tells me that she is moving out, that she does NOT want to be around such a mean mother, and she is packing her bags and leaving tonight. I said "well okay, but its pretty cold out, make sure you pack extra socks." To this she was surprised by my lack of begging her to stay. She kept on telling me that she was leaving and such. So I said "Well, you know this kind of sucks. Because Dad and I were planning on going to get our Christmas tree tonight, and I think it sucks you will miss it." So she then looks at me and says "OH I didn't know we were doing that tonight! Maybe I should just move out after Christmas. ... Wait... After Christmas is New Years! That's a fun thing too! Oh then next year is another Christmas... Oh MOMMY I DON'T WANT TO MOVE OUT! EVER!" I told her okay, that she could live with me forever. By now, she is over being mad, and is now curled up in my lap with my arms wrapped tightly around her. She then looks up at me and says "Mommy! You are going to get old and DIE! I don't want you to die!" and begins to sob. I told her encouraging things, and was trying to cheer her up, when she said "Besides Mommy, I could never move out...I just feel so much better in your arms."

That right there made my day. It made it all worth it, all the tantrums, all the frustrations, all the times I am trying SO hard to comfort her and Abigale and never know if they truly feel better. It was so nice to finally hear those words and know that my efforts were not in vain. I love my daughters so much!

And in case you are wondering, we DID finish the conversation about why what she did was wrong, and how to handle it better next time.

No comments: