Monday, September 1, 2008

Hand, Foot and Mouth

Kailyn ran a fever for one day. She was kinda quiet and sleepy that day, and just didnt feel well. The next day I saw she had a bump on her belly, however her fever was gone, and Kailyn was acting 100% herself. I asked my mom what it was and she laughed and said "a bump" and made a comment about me being obsessive. It looked like a tiny zit. The day after that she had bumps all over her hands, and some on her arms. She gets rashes often on her cheeks, and I chalked it up to her sensitive skin. She spent the night at her grandparents house. The following day we met them at Kevin's Aunts house for a bbq. Kailyn had the bumps all over the palms of her hands, and the soles of her feet, and was acting SOOO grumpy. She threw a tantrum like no other. I told Kevin that something wasn't right, and there was more to this than sensitive skin. So we took her straight to the ER. The doctor looked at her, looked in her mouth and said "She has hand, foot and mouth disease" with a smile on his face. I was like okay..what in the world is that? And he said it is a very mild virus that causes bumps on her hands, feet and mouth. Then he showed me in her mouth with the light, and she had bumps/blisters all throughout her mouth. On and under her tongue, her cheeks, roof of her mouth, and down her throat. No wonder she was so grumpy! And no wonder she wasnt eating well! He said it is a very common virus in kids, and it is extremely mild. Its the same level of concern as a cold, it is just very uncomfortable for them. He said to treat it with tylenol, benadryl, and as many pop-sicles as she wants. Kailyn heard him say that and started laughing saying "Yes! Pop-sicles! I LOVE pop-sicles!!" Poor baby. I feel bad for not knowing sooner that she had something wrong.

No comments: