Sunday, August 24, 2008

L&D Trip

I have been having contractions for a while now. The doctor prescribed that medication for me to stop them at home, but the medication made me very sick. I was told to throw the rest away and not take it anymore. This morning I started having contractions again. We were supposed to go to my moms birthday party, and the contractions weren't bad enough to stop me from moving around and stuff, just felt like period cramping. So we went shopping then went over to my parents house for my moms birthday. I laid down on the couch and felt pretty miserable. By about 5pm they were getting more painful, and I started having tons of pressure down there. So I told Kevin that we should probably go get this checked out just in case. I go down to Labor and Delivery and they hooked me up to the monitors. The nurse said I was having minor contractions. I knew they werent huge because they didnt hurt horribly bad. Just enough to make me sweat a little bit. They started in my lower abdomen and went up my sides. So the doctor came in and did a Fetal Fibronectin Test, and checked my cervix. My cervix is still closed and thick. Then he told me that the news that basically they cannot stop preterm labor for me. He said that since I reacted badly to the medication, there was only one other medication I could possibly take, and the chances of it making me react worse than the first one was incredibly huge. He said that it would not be good for my heart to have the tributaline. So basically I was in false labor today, but if it goes on to real labor, there isnt much that they can do. They said that they can delay it for about 2-3 days and give me steroids to mature the baby's lungs, but thats about it. We had to have the talk about what happens with premature babies. :*( He said at 28 weeks, the baby has an 80%-85% chance of s uvival and about a 60% chance of not having long term health/development problems. Every week the chances are better. Then they sent of the FFN test. About a half hour later he comes back in and says "well I am sending you home. The lid to the FFN test came off on the way to the lab, and became contaminated. We cannot retest you for 24 hours because of the gel and stuff we used to check your cervix. The results of the test are rather un-important at this point anyway. If it comes back positive, there isnt much we can do except bedrest or admitting you to the hospital to try to delay. If it comes back negative, then you can relax a little for the next two weeks or so." So I said "greeeaat" and went home. I am to go in on Tuesday and get the FFN test at the doctors office. I am on orders to "relax" He said he doesnt like bed rest because it kind of just weeds out false labor. It doesnt really stop real labor. So if I am bound to have the baby, laying down isnt going to stop it.

No comments: