Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Speech, WSU and the rest of it!

Well, we start with Kevin-
Kevin's last day at Rent-A-Center was yesterday. To me, it is a fabulous thing. I have appreciated Kevin working there more than words could ever begin to express. However, RAC is NOT a family friendly job. The hours are long, the bosses are unforgiving. It is hard work. There have been more weeks than not that Kevin has not seen one or both of the girls for days on end because of the long hours. This makes the girls miserable missing their dad, me miserable because that puts 100% of the kids on me, and him miserable because he misses all of us and is bone tired. He has moved up and down and all around in the company trying to find his niche. However, he has learned that he doesnt have one there. Thats not where he wants to, or is supposed to be. For example, it was Christmas Eve, and he was sent to "do runs". This is where they go to the peoples houses that are late on their bill. They either accept a payment at that time, or repossess the merchandise. We are talking washing machines, driers, beds, couches, kitchen tables, etc. So Christmas Eve, Kevin was out doing runs. He pulled up to this one house, and was there to collect either money or merchandise on a dining table and chairs that was 5-7 days past due. We arent even talking LONG overdue! Well as he pulled up, he could see through their picture window that they were a young family, setting the table for a family Christmas Eve dinner. And there he was to repossess their kitchen table! He felt so awful that he just kept driving right on by, and pretended like they weren't home. That is just one of the several hundred stories of stories of him feeling like a total ass at work. I am happy he is past that part of his life, and on to bigger and better things. I am so proud of him! I know that he will do great at WSU!

The other thing that we have been focused on lately is Abigale's speech and hearing. I realized I didnt put "the story" on here, so I will try to keep it short. She has a speech delay, the pediatrician recommended she have a routing hearing test done. It goes hand in hand with speech delays and evaluating them. I assumed it would dandy, but it came back showing that she has hearing impairments. They told us that she can hear all the same tones and noises as everybody else, they are just muffled to her. That would explain why she cant say words. She cant hear them correctly. This was a hard pill to swallow for me, and its been a long road. We still dont know what all this entails. All we know for sure is that her speech development is delayed significantly. At her evaluation, they told us that her speech is at 8% of what it should be, and at 7% it is considered a severe, significant issue. I left that evaluation scared, and suprised. I knew it was delayed, but didnt realize how bad. So we began speech therapy. It is a fun class an hour a week. We are learning new ways to communicate with Abby, and are trying our best to teach her sign language. It is fun, frustrating, and everything in between. She is worth it.
Here is Abby in Speech class, learning the word for "go" and "swing".


Kailyn and I haven't been up to much besides the usual. She is amazing. She is pretty sure she is a teenager. That's hilarious. Her new habits involve getting things "for her sister". For example, "But MOM! Abby wanted a bowl of ice cream, and I thought I would join her and bond with her." OR "Mom, Abby wants a new Barbie for her birthday..." haha She is also showing an interest in boys. Much to our dismay. She has a crush on a boy in her Kindergarten class, and there is a boy that has a crush on her. We aren't ready for that!


Well that is pretty much the biggest things happening in "Walley-world" lately.

No comments: